Valentine’s Day for the Heartless
True or not, my friends tell me I have no heart. It might be because films like La La Land leave me feeling pretty cold and I feel more than meh about Valentine’s Day. (Hey, just because Ryan Gosling is in it, doesn’t mean the story was good, ‘kay?) It might just the talk of a single lady who has yet to experience true romance –like tap dancing with my bae under the sunset–, who knows. Yet, while I couldn’t care less about Valentine’s Day as such, I do like the ‘romantic’ spirit. I mean, beautiful flower decorations everywhere, pastel-coloured pictures all over Instagram? Winter blues be gone! It’s also another excuse to treat myself again.
Any Excuse to Treat Yourself
Just like Galentine’s Day is bringing all the girls together, why not celebrate Valentine’s Day by loving yourself a bit more? There’s no one to shower me with a bouquet of a hundred roses, but that’s okay! I like pampering myself a little during this time. Winter is already sucking all the life out of you, be it good mood or good skin. Starting a new good-feel book, getting something pretty for my room or trying out new skincare or make-up.
Luckily, I have lookfantastic enabling me, since discovering them at the end of last year. I absolutely loved their January Beauty Box and I’m so amazed by the curation of brands they have. The February box has a cream from The Ordinary, which I was dying to try (will definitely do a brand review later!) and I got a few Valentine’s treats perfect for some me-time gifted:
- Baylis & Harding Jojoba, silk & almond candle* (£10): Usually prefer musky scents, but this candle is lightly sweet and calming, so definitely a keeper.
- Elemis Dynamic Resurfacing Gel Mask* (£49.50): Premium skincare at its best. I love Elemis’ Marine Cream and I’m glad I’m getting to try more of their products. This mask exfoliates the skin gently, leaving it baby smooth.
- The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA* (£4.90): Discovered The Ordinary at the beginning of the year and I’m obsessed with their Hyaluronic Acid (it’s that good and affordable!). This moisturiser gets absorbed so quickly without any feeling of greasiness, my new daily moisturiser.
- Glamglow Powermud Sample*: I have an oily T-zone, so mud masks are always a winner. Not sure, if it lives up to the hype yet though. Feels pretty much the same as my other mud masks.
- Grow Gorgeous Strengthening Oil* (£25): I love a good hair oil for my dull ends, and this one is beautifully light.
- theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer* (£16): I’ve tried many highlighters so far, loved a few of them, but when my friend introduced me to the Mary Lou-Manizer during our trip to Barcelona, I was speechless. Seriously, the most beautiful highlighter. So pigmented and easy to blend for a more natural look. Everyone in our group got one in the end.
How will you be celebrating Valentine’s Day today? Are you a fun or do you consider it the same as another day? I will be at home surrounded by cozy and relaxing candles, a calming and hydrating face mask and a copy of Seven Brief Lessons on Physics (duh, better than any rom-com, I promise!).